Uhm… uh… oh my. It is one of those days. I need to write on my blog, and I’ve got nothing to say. Here I am, staring at a blank box. I know I need to blog. Tapping fingers on the keyboard just to hear the sound of the keys clacking.
The purpose of your blog is to help your future clients learn more about you. I’ve described it before as your blog being like an online dating profile. It is best to have a mix of posts, some about the past boudoir clients you have worked with, sharing the story behind their sessions and some of the photographs they have released for you to share online. The tricky posts are the ones written from the heart. The ones that share YOUR story, that allow clients to get to know you. Those posts are the ones that truly make you stand out from your competition, as they share your passion and your purpose with your readers.
Those “from the heart” posts always seem to be the ones where I fall victim to writer’s block. It hits everyone at some point or another. What do you do when you just can’t think of what to write?
- Keep an Editorial Calendar. Plan out the upcoming year with a calendar so that you can brainstorm the topics of timely posts based on the season ahead. This can line up with your marketing calendar as well. You can use the Editorial Calendar Plugin for WordPress to plan your posts out there. Having the topics ready makes writing the posts so much easier.
- Change where you write. If you always write at the desk, maybe move to the couch. If you use a desktop computer and you can’t change your location, try drafting a post on your phone or a tablet. Normally write on a computer? Try writing in a journal instead. Sometimes this little change of location or writing style will be just enough to nudge you along.
- Close Facebook and block any other distractions. Having all that digital noise can stop you from writing because it makes procrastiworking just so easy! I use the Self Control app on my Mac. If you use an app like this on your computer, make sure you hide your phone as well. It is far too easy to pick it up and start surfing the web on it!
- Write first thing in the morning. This goes along with the concept of doing the hardest task for your day first. It is super easy to put off your blog post for checking email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram… oh look, now it is 4pm and you still haven’t written that blog post! Oops. Try writing it first before you do anything else so it is out of the way and you can have a more productive day.
- Just start writing. This seems counter-intuitive because you know you need to write a blog post, and you have nothing to say, and yet I’m telling you to just start writing? It works though! Something about the process of writing, even if it is a rambling, crappy draft of a post helps to get you thinking about what it is you truly want to say. Before you know it? You’ll have your blog post written.
- No apologies. If you’re really feeling behind on posts? Don’t apologize for it. Just start writing again. Try to find a rhythm of when you will post certain types of posts, so that you know if it is a certain day of the week, that is always the type of post you write on that day.
Keep these tricks handy for overcoming writer’s block and you’ll have your boudoir blog full of posts in no time at all!